Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Occidental RTE 05/15/11 - Howard's Cafe

We've been having a lot of interesting weather the last couple of days - sun, wind, rain, even some hail. I thought about not going to the RTE for about a second and then decided weather wasn't going to keep me home. It turned out to be a good decision. I only caught a minute or two of light sprinkles while I was on the road.

I arrived in Occidental almost 45 minutes early and wandered into Howard's Cafe to let them know our group would be arriving at around 11:30am. The place was already hopping with people waiting outside for tables to free up.



Instead of standing around I went on a little walk around town to see what I could find. Almost immediately I ran into a local throwback to the 60's... I wish I had asked to take his picture he was a character indeed. He was very friendly and I spent about 10 or 15 minutes talking to him about motorcycles and things to see in Occidental. After saying goodbye and wishing him a good day I got out the camera.

Just up the hill from Howard's Cafe is this nice old church. It was not easy to get a good photo because of the power pole and lines right in the way, but I did my best and this will have to do...


I found a mural with a directory of the town on the side of the market building:


Where else would you expect to find the Bohemian Market but on the Bohemian Highway?


The other church in Occidental...


The Union Hotel...


A closer view of the clock...


A couple of shops...


Soon the others started to arrive. Howard from Nevada was first, he left at midnight and rode over 600 miles to join us. He really wanted to get a Howard's Cafe t-shirt but they were out!


Breakfast was delicious and we a good time visiting.


And we got to meed Dave's new riding companion...


Too soon it was time to say goodbye and head home to plan the next RTE. On the way home I stopped in Sebastopol to take one more picture...



No comments:

Post a Comment