Tuesday, November 8, 2011

SeaSTOC 2011 Oct 28-29

I left work Thursday at 6:30am and hit the road for SeaSTOC, at the Salton Sea east of San Diego. Aside from it being a bit chilly at 39 degrees on Pacheco Pass (Hwy 152) and me being a bit tired from working all night, I arrived safely at the Mecca Beach campground at around 3:30pm.



I got myself unpacked and set up my home away from home before heading in to Mecca for dinner at the Mexican restaurant.


Tom's tent poles were accidentally left at home, but he survived with a little rope... Not to worry, his tent poles arrived on Saturday with a friend.


Visiting around the campground: Carole, Larry, Kim, Ken, George, Rick, and Alicia.


Tim and Jay



Mac & Tom

Friday I stayed around the campground visiting, reading my book, and in the afternoon John talked me into going in the water with him. The water was just the right temperature and provided a nice break from the flies that seemed to number in the thousands this year. 


Here's the pied-piper... errr, I mean John:


To get to the water we had to trek through some nice mud, then some barnacles and fish bones... I think it actually helped to soften up my heels.


Yes, I was soaking wet from head to toe. Shortly after this I enjoyed a nice hot shower and some clean, dry clothes.


Mike (left) came all the way from Lompoc to visit for about an hour and then head back to go to work!


After a nice meal prepared by Carole & Mac it was time to enjoy the sunset.



Saturday I mostly relaxed. I didn't feel the need to go on a long ride so I just took a nice easy ride around the Salton Sea and then spent some more time reading.

ST-Owners to the rescue! The poor guy got stuck good trying to turn around. The boys finally helped get him out.


Sunday morning came too fast and it was time to pack up and hit the road for home. Jay and I decided to ride together part of the way home and we started out having a nice breakfast at the Mexican restaurant in Mecca.

We waved goodbye to each other on Hwy 99 just south of the Hwy 46 W exit.

I hit 35000 miles in South San Jose, about 15 minutes from home.

Trip total: ~1189 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment