Saturday, January 1, 2011

Solvang - "Sunny Fields"

Solvang was founded in 1911 by Danish settlers. There are lots of bakeries, restaurants, and shops that provide a little taste of Denmark. It is a bit of a tourist trap but it is very scenic and sometimes it is fun to do the tourist thing.








While I was in Solvang I made time to visit Old Mission Santa Ines, founded on September 17, 1804 by Father Estévan Tapís, which is still in use today.







I also took a ride ~25 miles west on Hwy 246 to Lompoc to visit La Purissima Mission, founded in 1787, which is now a state park.






I had planned to visit the Solvang Vintage Motorcycle Museum but it was not open both times I stopped by. I did my best to see what I could through the windows and put it at the top of my list of things to do on my next Solvang visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment